To Run or Not To Run: Running While Sick

Today was supposed to be the last big run for New Orleans, my final 22 mile run. (Still time to help me raise $ Click )Since last week the plans have been in place, get up early on my Friday off, meet 3 friends all needing varying distances but have company for about 3/4 of my run. Well thanks to my child and her ability to share germs my body had other plans. Tuesday I felt a little sick but I still ran a 10 mile tempo run without issues. Wednesday I barely managed a 6 mile easy run, ended up walking to make it to 7 miles. Then by Thursday I was miserable by lunchtime, low grade fever, nonstop cough and body aches. I left work early, deciding sharing my germs with my afternoon of oncology clinic was stupid.


I camped out on the couch with the fire on, blankets, House Hunters on TV and a book to read. I jumped on our group run text and let them know I was likely out and sure enough I was...
At the start of Boston 2012 with Jess, I look pretty good considering how bad I was feeling!
My goal since my last injury is to be a smart runner, listen to my body and think of the long term not just what I want today. In the past I would have run and suffered! In 2012 I was sick heading into Boston Marathon but I ran anyways (who wouldn't?). I took it easy since I was sick, coming off injury and it was 90 degrees by mid race but still I suffered for weeks after with a nasty respiratory infection requiring steroids and antibiotics to finally go away. Not this time!

Reasons Not To Run

  • Fever
  • Body Aches
  • Respiratory Illness
  • Flu-like symptoms

Check, check, check! I guess I am out!

Okay To Run

  • Nasal Congestion
  • Runny Nose
  • Sneezing
  • Sore Throat

Today I am feeling better but still sore throat and cough so planning a walk instead and reattempting my long run tomorrow if things are even better. Wish me luck! Do you try to run through illness and injury? 

And now a little good news! I'm excited to be chosen to be part of Team Rock N Blog for 2016. Stay tuned for a discount code for Rock n Roll Races. Have you run any Rock n Roll races?



Have a great weekend! Linking up with Jill for Fitness Friday

Comments

  1. I have a bit of a sore throat, hopefully I won't feel bad on my run today. I hope you feel better soon! It's so important to listen to your body. I'm on the RockNBlog Team too, first time this year! I'll be doing DC for the first time and some others that I'm still deciding. I ran Philly in 2011 and 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your run went well and you feel better :) Good luck deciding on the RnR races!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the rock n blog gig! It's going to be so much fun I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

Turkey Day 5K

A few Races...