Fitting it all in

Another week of marathon training almost done and here I sit 10 days from race day and the weather obsession is beginning (right now it looks decent but could be a little warmer to start the race).

With my crazy start to the week the taper fits perfect, no matter how hard I try after waking up at 3:30a and spending nearly 10 hours working I just can't convince myself a hard workout is a good idea, but anything is better then nothing.

How to fit it in
  • Make it a priority: Schedule workouts into your day and write in down.
  • Decide what you are willing to skip: An extra hour of sleep, drinks with friends, relaxing during lunch break. What is more important then workouts? This may be different each day.
  • Fit it in: I often run during my daughter's dance class or during naptime.
  • Multitask: Read/study on the bike trainer, watch TV on the treadmill, run to the store for groceries.
  • Find short workouts: I used to routinely do 30 Day Shred in the morning (only 20 minutes) or a 30 minute pilates or yoga DVD.
  • Be ready: Set out workout clothes at night, have a bag ready to bring with to work, have the DVD in and ready to go. It is much harder to skip when you don't have time to think about it.
  • Find a workout you enjoy: I love the 530am spin class, so I have no problem getting up early on my late start day.
  • Set a goal and reward yourself when you reach it: Train for a race, workout 5 days a week, run X miles. Figure out what motivates you and do it. This also makes you track your workouts to see progress.
Any quick workouts? Or how do you convince yourself to workout after a long day?

Overall I can't say my week is bad, just back loaded but it does make me take  Monday as an easy/rest day. Ironically Jill also talks about fitting in workouts on Fitness Friday, check out her tips.


My little helper
We also spent Thursday baking, first another batch of pumpkin muffins and then some granola. Thanks to my little helper I learned an interesting addition of coriander! With 2 more pie pumpkins sitting in the kitchen the pumpkin cooking is only going to continue, what next?

Pumpkin Almond Granola
4 cups oats
1/4 cup protein powder
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup ground flax
1/2-1 cup chopped almonds
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp each ginger, nutmeg, all spice
1/4 tsp coriander (this was truly a mistake but it tasted great!)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup almond butter
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup dates soaked
1 cup raisins

Puree almond butter, dates, pumpkin and vanilla. Mix remaining ingredients (except raisins). Combine wet and dry. Pour on to parchment line baking sheet and bake 40-45 min at 300F. Turn oven off and let sit in oven (this helped to make crisp without overcooking). Once cooled add raisins.

Comments

  1. I've been wanting to make granola again now that it's cooler... yours looks fantastic! So funny that you and Jill both talked about time management today, great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making granola, always end up playing around and making it a little different each time.

      Delete
  2. Great tips! Ane your little helper is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see I'm not the only one that starts obsessing over the weather as soon as I'm 10 days out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am terrible and obsess as soon as I can but then it always changes!

      Delete
  4. That granola is inspired! All the best things :-)

    It's so important to make running a priority to fit it in. Love your tips. I'm not helpful on that front. I want to do it. So I do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, I love running and make it happen :)

      Delete
  5. I agree so hard to fit it all in :) Phew! Busy mammas we are :) Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) See you next Friday! Next Friday one lucky blogger will be randomly selected to win a case of Planet Rice! Its yummy! Its gluten free, sprouted and grown in the US. You can link up to 3 entries! The more you link up the better you chances to win! (entries from US only) Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I wonder how we moms do so much! I would love it if you visited my new Gluten-Free Monday party at OneCreativeMommy.com and linked up this and any other idea you would like to share. I hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi I will check it out, always looking for new recipes to try :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

Turkey Day 5K

A few Races...